Saturday, June 29, 2013

When Racism Rears it's Ugly Head



So, what started out as a wonderful evening for my family at the town of Arlington's First Annual Star Spangled celebration ended with on a low note. Today, my daughter, had the honor of performing the National Anthem before the fireworks display. We arrived at the Arlington Sportsplex around 6:30 with our picnic baskets and had a great time with our family as we awaited Aliyah's big moment. After her performance, we enjoyed the wonderful fireworks display. Once the lights were turned back on, we packed our things and headed to our vehicles (my mom had driven her truck and I had driven mine). Despite heavy traffic flow, I was able to make it home in about ten minutes. Shortly afterwards, Aliyah's friends arrived, who had each driven their own cars. 15 minutes pass by and my mom and Aliyah still have not arrived home. I was a little concerned, but not panicky yet since I knew they were in a different lot and may have had trouble getting out. Thirty minutes after the Star Spangled celebration has ended, my mom and daughter arrive visibly upset. Apparently some irate woman and her husband attempted to block them from leaving the parking lot after accusing my mom of hitting the wife's car. My mom and 16-year old daughter were cursed at and called all kinds of names. My mom immediately called 9-1-1 as this verbal assault continued with the husband standing in front of her truck. Finally the wife blurts out, "the back of your tire hit the front of my truck", to which my mom replies, "then that means you hit me." Aware that my mom was on the phone with the 9-1-1 dispatcher, the husband's attitude immediately changed as he encouraged his wife to get back into her vehicle. No one's vehicle had been hit, the lady was simply upset because she could not get out of the parking lot. The man apologized profusely and they each got into their vehicles and drove off. My mom informed the dispatcher that an officer was no longer needed and she and Aliyah came home safely. Aliyah is quite shaken. After what should have been a great night for her, she had to face the obvious racism and hatred of some ignorant individual. I am not naive. I am not ignorant to the fact that racism still exists. It just hurts me that my mom and my daughter had to experience something that was so unnecessary. The sad part is that the situation may have played out a lot differently if they had not been black. The husband's apology cannot erase from my child's mind what she had to witness tonight. I am proud to live in Arlington, TN. I live here by choice because this is where I want to raise my children, this is where I want them to attend school. My neighborhood is awesome, my neighbors are friendly, and overall in the 6 years that we have lived in Arlington, we really haven't had any issues. My daughter did an awesome job tonight and I am so proud of her. I just wish that she had been able to enjoy her moment without drama. She has learned a valuable lesson tonight; even in 2013, we must still fight to rise above the hatred, racism, and ignorance of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment